PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's missing from the CPL
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2012, 19:37
One9iner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
REDSNAIL makes an interesting suggestion; single pilot LOFT exercises were run at the FTO where I trained during the IR phase of training mainly in the sim, but not during the CPL phase. The sim was never frozen, and failures / dire situations / below minima weather etc.. were simulated regularly.

There was also the 'final' LOFT sim session in our lesson plan; where the instructor was given free reign to push the trainee as far as they deemed beneficial, and the trainee knew going into the session that anything and everything could be thrown at them... I found it quite fun to be honest and very useful reviewing how I reacted to a whole host of problems, problems that would probably never happen, especially at the same time..

There was also an air of competitiveness between the instructor and trainee. i.e. 'Lets see if he/she can deal with this!!" "Ha, the instructor didn't think I would have coped with that!"

During MCC training obviously lots of LOFT exercises are run, but back to REDSNAIL's point, LOFT type exercises aren't really run through during single pilot CPL training and tests... It's more just "right the weather is below minima over there, what are you going to do?"

Last edited by One9iner; 29th Apr 2012 at 21:40.