PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's missing from the CPL
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2012, 18:16
FlyingStone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with most that has been said here, I have couple of suggesstions though:

1. CPL course shouldn't be introduction to flying Part 25 aircraft. If you are tested on an Arrow, fly as Arrow should be flown. And if you're doing a CPL skill test in a multi-engine aircraft, fly it like light multi-engine aircraft are flown. What you get currently is guys who use checklists for everything, including crimb, cruise, descent and landing checklist in traffic pattern. And I'm talking do and read or read and do checklists... I really wonder how can one manage flying a normal two-engine circuit with Seneca, doing all the written checklists and still maintain a good lookout - I can't.

2. Not really a CPL debate, but I think it should be addressed as well: IFR briefings. Sure, most people go from IR/ME on a DA42 straight to jets - but still, you are issued a single-pilot IR/ME, not a multi-pilot one - same accounts for IR/SE. I really don't se a point in briefing the entire approach chart, so the briefing consists of 50 different numbers, which nobody is going to remember, let alone a pilot flying single-pilot IFR in IMC without autopilot. I fail to see why you have to brief which holding entry you will use after a missed approach, if it's 30 miles past MAPt, which will take forever in most aicraft and there will be plenty of time to think about. Oh yes, and training in actual IMC is too dangerous - so let's issue pilots an IR allowing to fly them in clouds without demonstrating the effects than can and will happen in actual IMC (illusions, etc.).

3. A CPL pilot should be comfortable flying the aircraft to the edge of its limitations. How much CPL students have flown the aircraft to their maximum range or landed above maximum demonstrated crosswind? God forbid someday one of them will be offered a job and they'll have to perform to the limits of the aircraft, for example land on a short runway that POH says the aircraft barely gets in and out. Or land in a 20 kts crosswind, or perhaps ferry the aircraft without fuel stop so they will land with final reserve and perhaps alternate, if required?

And the rant for last...

A training course for Commercial Pilot's Licence shall teach student what being Commercial pilot means. It surely doesn't mean you work for free or even pay to work.