PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 55 years of exchange between RAF IOT and USAFA comes to an end
Old 29th Apr 2012, 17:53
chopabeefer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A day of mixed blessings I think. There are plus and minus points to this story.

Having worked with quite a few US exchange Officers (in the UK - not been lucky enough to ever go there), I feel a tiny bit qualified to comment.

It seems to me it really was a meeting that resulted in benefits for both sides. The US gained experience from real Sqn's, working in real time, without their level of technology, making daily decisions. I flew with very experienced USAF Instructors who would have genuinely struggled to pass an RAF Wings trip. Please don't take this the wrong way - they were top lads, the best their nation could produce, but bordering on incompetent in the UK, when working with the RAF. Vice Versa, UK bods who have had the chance to go there all agree the US is an amazing place to live, beats the UK hands down on a LOT of levels, but you need to be prepared to work with people...err...'less' intelligent than yourself.
Not a loss, really. At least, not for us.

Yanks - gotta love 'em - GREAT people and an wonderful country, but working with 'em? - another matter