PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2012, 16:48
LowObservable

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
There are clearly valid arguments at the technical and operational level for both the B and the C.

However, let's look at the level up from that. Even the JSF's best friends cannot argue that the program has shown any signs of stability in terms of IOT&E completion, which, while it may not determine IOC, is a very big component of it.

As for production schedules, rates and costs, the program of record rests on some big assumptions about partner willingness to pay pre-full-rate prices (for more than a few training jets) and about the ability of US budgets beyond the current FYDP to pay the bills.

Now add the upcoming election (House, Senate, White House) and the resulting sequestration deal.

Can anyone, anywhere, guarantee that F-35B/C will survive, or stay on their current schedule? What are the odds of a divergence from the current program?

Conversely, there are two proven CATOBAR jets available/under upgrade today, and there will be two in 2020 (unless MMRCA falls apart and Saab snags Brazil).

You've got to ask yourself one question. Mr Hammond: Do I feel lucky?

PS Engines: "Three wheels on my wagon" was a staple of BBC's Saturday morning kids' radio show for many years. A saga of unquenchable optimism in the face of rapidly worsening reality, it joins "Wreck of the Ol'97" in my list of great defense-procurement-related lyrics.