PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's missing from the CPL
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2012, 14:04
madlandrover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One9iner: all good stuff that we'd throw at a candidate on a CPL course, with a few more extras along the way. I suspect much of the issue is indeed down to schools training for tests rather than to hold the qualification - something that I see at most levels, especially IR courses where the successful candidate can fly several set routes very well but doesn't have the skill set to plan and fly a route from another airfield, perhaps negotiating the join to CAS rather than having ATC cover the whole time. Personally, I/we try to do a good course, with the test being confirmation rather than the target! Works especially well with FI courses.

It wouldn't however be appropriate for the CPL course to be tailored too specifically to someone's future ambitions. Once the CPL is issued it is/should be a qualification that allows progression onto a range of options, all of which come with their own specific training courses. Eg the FI course is there to train instructors, not the CPL course. Precision nav comes in pretty handy for any FI .