PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heli weather north sea
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2012, 10:38
Colibri49

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi roughneck

For a little more insight into ARA procedures, the principle is that both pilots first use a map we carry of offshore installations, combined with looking at the radar picture and the wind reported at the helideck, to discuss and agree a safe approach path into the wind. One pilot carefully briefs the other as to headings, heights, speeds, ranges and missed approach procedures.

The path must be planned to reach the helideck avoiding other obstructions including boats in the final approach path. Normally the pilot who is going to do the deck landing uses the radar and acts as a talk-down controller, while the other pilot concentrates solely on flying the aircraft accurately according to his colleague's instructions and the flight instruments.

When the pilot doing the talkdown sees the helideck and is confident that he has adequate visual references, he says "I have control" and takes over the handling of the aircraft to perform the landing. If he never sees the deck by 0.75nm or isn't comfortable with the visual picture, he says "Go around" and the handling pilot turns to a safe direction away from the helideck while climbing to a safe altitude.

Now to ask you a favour; I've used your thread to serve as a "plug" for mine. In case you haven't seen it, please would you read mine: Attention offshore passengers. Engine failures ! and pass it on as widely as you can.

Last edited by Senior Pilot; 29th Apr 2012 at 11:19. Reason: Keep to the weather discussion