PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mouldy Quarters at RAF Brize Norton.
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2012, 10:16
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The title should really have been:

Mouldy Quarters at RAF Stations

Tigermate says:

This type of mould is invariably caused by a reluctance to ventilate a room that demands it
But there is more to it than that. In my home of 30 years we open the window in the morning as do many in quarters. Unlike quarters we do not have mould. One reason is a huge extractor fan in the main bathroom with a humidity stat. It keeps the humidity down and usually comes on only after a bath rather than during a bath. In our shower room we also have an extractor fan; it has an overrun timer.

In the last MQ I was in this year the bathroom fan operated on the light switch and stopped as soon as the light was switched off. The toilet fans did have overrun timers. The drains however were block solid with soil and detrius from the roof and one with a tree in it. One bedroom is over the out buildings and the floor is uninsulated thus contributing to the mould. The kitchen cooker extractor didn't work.

The underlying problem is patchwork updates, inadequate insulation (who pays the fuel bills), inadequate ventilation provision (not failure to use the ventilation).

Now if rents were increased significantly (say £100-125/m) and fuel costs were met by MHS you could be sure there would be a rapid spend-to-save solution.