PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's missing from the CPL
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2012, 09:52
ChriSat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’ve yet to start my CPL, but I do have a PPL and from what I’ve seen of the syllabus and skills test requirements, I agree you with you Genghis. I think the main problem is the test is stuck in the 1970’s. The CAA seem to be obsessed with the DR Nav which really isn’t a practical way of navigating with the complex airspace we have here. I think they’ve got the balance right for the PPL skills test, but the CPL seems to be very skewed towards it. Are there any commercial operations left that actually use DR as a primary means of navigation? I doubt it. I’ve had my licence about 8 months now and can honestly say I still don’t feel comfortable (and probably never will) navigating on DR alone, especially when I’m flying to an unfamiliar area or airport around busy airspace.

I think the key is never relying on one source of information when navigating, and using all the aids you have at your disposal. MM GPS, VOR, DME, NDB, DR should all be allowed on the test, and if any one or more of these were to become “unserviceable” you should still be able to position fix.

It’s difficult to find the right balance as not everyone that does the CPL wants to go into a Multi crew environment, but what about different variants of the CPL, depending on what line of work you want to go into. So a rating endorsed CPL, (VFR)CPL, (MCC)CPL, and (FI)CPL. Making the syllabus geared towards the individuals intentions. It would also make instructors a more sought after commodity, and less hour building FI’s. A greater focus on situational awareness and raw flying skills sound good.