PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seneca V Crash
Thread: Seneca V Crash
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2012, 09:43
goldeneaglepilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An Update

You may remember Weavers words (hgfcpilot) in post 4 on this thread:

I would finally like to add that I was not a crew member or PIC on that Seneca V, and anyone who states otherwise risks a court hearing.

Well young Robert Weaver did his best to hide the truth about this accident. The truth is now out. When the flight plan was filed it clearly listed Weaver as the Captain. Now we all know that Weaver could not legally be the captain on that flight, the route required an instrument rating applicable to the aircraft type. Weaver (at that time) only held a single engine instrument rating.

Weaver also claimed he had 60 crossings experience at that time. Now the insurers based the premium and the cover on his claims to be the pilot and his claimed experience. Legally he could not have been in command for ANY of the claimed crossings if they were in a multiengine aircraft. Perhaps his claim for the number of crossings includes the number of times he has flown the route as a passenger in a commercial airliner?

I copy below the part of the message that was transmitted to the search and rescue crews while on route to offer Weaver assistance – it was sent from Gander to the Greenland authorities and the information was from the flight plan filed by Weaver:

SPL RECEIVED FROM CZQXZQZX: SPL-N344SE-CYYR-BGBW-E/0530 P/002 R/E S/PM J/LV D/01 006 C/YELLOW A/WHITE BLUE C/WEAVER OPR/SKY FERRY

Now that clearly lists the captain as Weaver and the operator as Skyferry.

Weaver put forward strong arguments that the incident was not reportable to the FAA and NTSB, others on here argued that was the not the case. Having spoken to the FAA
They are of the view that it WAS reportable.

Of course Weaver did not want that as it would make it difficult to get reasonably priced insurance for similar flights in the future.

The accident was due to dry tanks, Weaver forgot the winds and ignored the forecast. He simply ran out of fuel due to very poor planning. The flight could not be done by him legally yet he filed as the captain.

The aircraft cost $150000 for the damage to be repaired and the owner was without his aircraft for nearly a year.

The FAA and NTSB have now got a copy of the documentation with respect to this flight. They are investigating and all I will say is the person that I spoke to last night was not impressed with Weaver... He mentioned various offences that he thought may come into this.

I also mentioned to them about an N-Reg Twin Otter that Weaver flew in the UK and how he told the story of ending up with ice in IFR conditions and frightened himself. When he later flew the aircraft with a very experienced pilot he received a serious dressing down when he had no checklist for the aircraft and told the experienced pilot things that clearly demonstrated that he had no idea of how the deice systems worked.

Weaver may claim to have an accident free history, but that is not the case.