PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in Alaska
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2012, 03:01
inmate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
working in Alaska

Your biggest hurdle will be getting a visa to allow such work. Students that train here can work for a period equal to their time spent training, however it may well be only for the area the training was completed in. Try calling somewhere like Bristow Academy for a better picture on that.
Alaska usually starts hiring pilots in Jan and Feb to start training in April/May. we are well into the training and work season now.
Your Aussie CPL(H) or ATPL will only allow you to fly as a private pilot here and not for hire.
The exception to the norm is if a company can show the Dept of Labour (added the "u" just for you) that they have advertised both in State and Federally for a pilot and cannot find one with the skills needed. I have seen that happen up here only once. Unfortuneately your skill and hourly levels are held by many here all looking for the same opening. (Just a plain old fact I'm afraid)
Why not try to build your hours closer to home, PNG maybe? ( I mean what can beat the site and smells of Goroka or Mt Hagen on a sunny day)
One thing is for sure once your have flown and worked here it is hard to equal or better the experience.
I wish you the best of luck in your endevours.