PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heli weather north sea
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2012, 19:48
roughneck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heli weather north sea

Hi guys,

Just a short introduction: I'm a roughneck working on a drilling rig a small hours flight out of Aberdeen,

I've always had a passion for flying helis but never made the career change and as I'm gettin towards the end of my 30's now I'm quiet comfy in my current job, I am also very interested in the weather that develops around the north sea and always haves great respect to the pilots that fly us to work and back.

I was hoping if someone could explain what kind of weather limitations there are for flying around in the north sea? I sometimes hear the pilots say that they have to perform an airborne radar approach to the rig and sometimes they do get in and other times they return back to Aberdeen, and what kind of weather limits(feet/visibility) are there for Aberdeen airport? Do you always need plenty of fuel to reach another airport or what are the weather limits (feet/visibility) if the wether is marginal.

I've also spoken to a few pilots out there and heard terms like "Coastal and land heliports" but never understood what this involves?

It probably does not concern me, but I'd really like to learn a bit more and i even asked my OIM for more info about this, but the best advise he'd gave me was 'visit pprune and just ask it straight up'.

Thanks in advance

James