PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2012, 14:23
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen,

Once again, for the avoidance of doubt.

The F-35B is required to be able to recover to the deck using a VL with a full internal weapons load of 2 1000 pound JDAMS and 2 AIM-120s. This drives the KPP (Key Performance Parameter) for VL Bring Back (VLBB). The F-35B meets this KPP under the climatic conditions specified in the JORD. The UK initiated the RVL studies because they want the aircraft to be able to do this at even more demanding conditions in the Persian Gulf in summer. I'm tempted to write this in capitals, as many don't seem to get the simple fact that the F-35 can bring back its weapons to a VL on a hot day. Not, I freely admit, on a super hot day.

RVLs - I certainly don't claim that 'they are not a problem', mainly because they have not yet been tried. However, citing Harrier GR1 problems as a reason not to attempt them in a 35B is not relevant. The Harrier's 'bicycle' landing gear layout caused immense problems in its early days (P1127 onwards) and the GR1 still had some major issues that were only partially fixed on the GR3. The AV-8B's revised outriggers were, in part, an attempt to improve deck handling. On top of these, the braking performance of the Harrier was marginal at best. Finally, Harrier flying qualities at RVL speeds were really not very good.

F-35B has a good stable gear layout with very powerful main gear carbon brakes controlled by a sophisticated computer driven system. It's flight control systems are 50 years on from the Harrier, and precision RVL approaches should not be a high workload event. That's what the guys doing the test flying say.

CVF is a big deck with a longer run out area, and will be a lot more stable in roll and pitch than legacy Harrier ships like CVS or LPDs.

I'm not for one minute claiming that these will solve all the problems of RVLs, should the RN go for them. But they make the issue a wholly different proposition from the days of GR1s on small decks. That said, the whole issue of operating aircraft from carriers calls for dedicated aircrew and RN ownership. The UK tried a 'joint' unit and it failed. Best to learn from one's mistakes, in my view.

Navalised Typhoon - some zombies just won't die, will they? It's amazing, and in a way, humbling, to see how effective BAE BD guys are at getting the Times to print their publicity material. However, it's more depressing to see how technically illiterate the mainstream press has become.

Best Regards

Engines