PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turbulence and feet per second
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2012, 13:22
MakeItHappenCaptain

Location: Hollister, Hilo, Pago Pago, Norfolk Is., Brisbane, depending which day of the week it is...
Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
Have you seen the slight wrinkling of an overstressed fuselage? It isn't obvious. Have you felt the excess play in a worn-out stabilator bearing? Again, not necessarily obvious.
All the more reason not to do it. How do you know previous pilots haven't gradually worn down that nice limit-ultimate margin? I'm not saying a 10 knot exceedance will bring you undone and I'm sure no-one will be "disappointed" the airframe didn't fail, but Va is set for a reason and to introduce a healthy fear/respect of exceeding this parameter is definitely not a bad thing imo.

I agree with using Va in lieu of Vb, as previously stated, the littlies don't have the same certification reqirememts.

My agreeing with Uber had nothing to do with the commander photo specifically, just not happy with the generalised understatement of what can happen. Worst case scenario, I know and no apologies for that, but it's the old/bold scenario that will keep you alive the longest. Remember the age of Australia's GA fleet.