PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turbulence and feet per second
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2012, 12:34
Oktas8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
das uber soldat, and makeithappencaptain,

That aeroplane did not crash because the pilot went ten or twenty knots too fast in turbulence. If you have read the report behind it, perhaps you might tell us what led to the crash. (Exceeded Va by 10 or 20kts in moderate turbulence on an otherwise fine day? Ha ha.)

There is a difference between going slightly too fast and going 50% too fast, or going into a mature thunderstorm. It's because I know that, that I spent years being allowed to test people. And seeing them, for example, do max rate turns above Va. Naughty naughty. But yet we didn't crash. No, of course I didn't condone it though.

If a pilot reading this forum goes away thinking that flying through moderate turbulence above Vb or Vra will break something, he will be surprised when he accidentally does it one day. Because there probably won't be anything to see to the casual eye - unless of course ten or a hundred other pilots have done so before him, or if he went up to Vne in moderate or severe turbulence! But it's still bad, because of fatigue and hidden parts that are damaged if only slightly. So even if there seems to be no damage, report it at least verbally to a friendly LAME who knows what look for.

Have you seen the slight wrinkling of an overstressed fuselage? It isn't obvious. Have you felt the excess play in a worn-out stabilator bearing? Again, not necessarily obvious.

That's the message I'm trying to say. Nothing to do with flight through thunderstorms.

Last edited by Oktas8; 28th Apr 2012 at 13:01.