PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Auto Rotation for real
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2012, 09:55
Tevios

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Rotation for real

Here is an excerpt from my book "Running For Home":

So far that day, it had been exhilerating but not frightening, now it was instantly terrifying. There was'nt much time to think about it as the earth rushed up to meet us. The pilot had just enough time to say "this is going to be hard". I braced myself for the inevitable impact as the pilot struggled to apply for real what he'd been practicing only moments before. Just before impact, the engine decided that it too was also scared and instantly burst back into life and just as the power began to engage, we hit the ground.

The cattle in the field rapidly dispersed and had never before produced so many cow pats.

It was one hell of a thump which though expected was nevertheless shocking, the rotors thrashed at the air making that whacking sound so characteristic of a helicopter doing a stressful manoeuvre. The suspension bottomed out with a thump and recoiled violently, bouncing the Wasp airbourne again in an almost comical way. Since power had at this juncture been restored, it was just enough to keep us airborne. The pilot had got it just right and it proved beyond doubt that this sort of manoeuvre actually worked. The Wasp seemed totally unscathed and is testament to the quality of construction.

Here is the link to the book which includes a lot more farce and dangerous incidents enough to shatter anyone's nerves: RUNNING FOR HOME eBook: Christopher Dawber: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

Last edited by Tevios; 28th Apr 2012 at 12:29. Reason: spelling