PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Grounded for 14 days while on any medication?
Old 28th Apr 2012, 07:59
Ropey Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm probably making too much out of the paper trail bit - I'm sure it will be fine!

Called the AME back and she confirmed that the grounding was for each and every one of the drugs (including the antibiotics).

Problem is that the AME can't certify anything having not seen me personally, all she can do is offer advice over the phone. I called the GP receptionist about the sick note - gave her the gist of what it needed to say and she told me I can pick it up on Mon... Will doff my cap to each and every manager who wishes when I report for work next

Tried stressing to the GP that it was a dust allergy and not asthma that caused this and she was adamant that it is the same thing (just not exercise-induced asthma). Told her about the implications of oral steroid pills (CAA Cat 1 med no-no) when suggested so hopefully she won't word the letter too strongly! Anyway a single diagnosis (mis-diagnosis?) in a 7 min GP appointment does not lose a medical.

The main thing I am taking away from this is the fortnights grounding after taking anything I have had the odd 3 day course of antibiotics a couple of times over the years and not thought twice about it. Back in Lizzies airline we had to have the SAM (military AME) prescribe paracetemol for a headache - I thought Civ-Air was different; but given the lack of info on this sort of thing (all AME restricted stuff) it looks not.

Is there anywhere with this kind of info - the CAA med pages are useless; FAQs limited to saying some pilots had antihistamenes in their system following accidents - do't take Clarytin kids! I'm not looking for the BNF - just that I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't know about the 14 day rule for any new course of meds - even if you have taken them before