PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe pilots fired after flight deck row
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2012, 07:37
lurkio

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sorry Private Jet but that is a grossly unfair comment on the majority of ex forces personnel flying in the civvy world. In my experience the modern day ex mil pilot is a pleasure to fly with and, without exception, an excellent operator. Not only from the stick and rudder perspective but also from the technical side as well. As a group I find that they are more self critical than most and are open to constructive crtiticism as that is the way they were trained. Things were a little different 25 years ago, there were one or two bad apples who made a simple day out a bit of a chore but by and large they have now retired and moved on. You may not remember the old Atlantic Barons, vastly experienced pilots but just as much a pain as the bad mil guys. Thankfully now that CRM is required reading the message is being absorbed before most people go near a sim or flight deck and has therefore had a positive impact, but as in all walks of life one or two may just get through.
Nobody is perfect but both sides can learn a lot from each other and with the gov seemingly trying to shrink mil aviation to it's bare minimum there will be a lot more ex mil guys coming to a seat near you soon. Some will have wanted to stay in longer and some will have done their time but at the end of the day I will welcome their skillsets just as much as I would any civvy pilot.
Oh and I've never flown anything more military than a 747 on a trooping contract so no bias.