PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft down at Moree.
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2012, 01:40
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moree "Black Hole"

Whilst others have pointed out that this aircraft was operated to Brewarrina and then back to Moree again whilst overloaded by as much as 250Kg and with a probable out of envelope aft CofG the primary cause of this accident seems to me to be lack of recency in Night flying.

I am a firm believer in keeping current in all aspects of the privileges afforded by one's licence and ratings. I am concerned that irregular use of Night VFR and IFR ratings available to PPL holders is a recipe for disaster, especially the Instrument Flying rating. Having on numerous occasions crewed for pilot crew, with thousands of hours experience, during simulator rides when they have come back from long leave I have observed many Instrument Approaches flown in the exercises. I well recall that the initial few approaches were often not well flown.

This, I think, illustrates clearly that any pilot holding an Instrument rating or Night VFR rating should regularly practice those skills. The very infrequent use of these ratings does not maintain competence.

Last edited by Old Fella; 28th Apr 2012 at 04:12. Reason: Grammar