PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Gems of Advice
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2012, 19:51
macdo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sadly, you are/have traveled down a well worn path of getting not-the-quite-right bits of paper. There are many of us that have done all or part of the same thing, usually regretting it later.
From my own, not dis-similar experience in the 1990's my best advice would be to keep current flying anything. No matter what job you finally get, it will be easier to convince the employer of your worth if you are in practice flying aeroplanes.
Secondly, never stop doing the rounds. Knock on the door of everyone, then when they say no knock on their door again in 8 weeks time, I have met countless 'lucky, right place right time' stories over the years. Do not be afraid to physically walk in and ask to speak to the Chief Pilot (or whoever), but make sure you know who they are and something about them and their airline.
Target the right airlines and be aware of their recruitment policy and current situation. There is little point in going head to head with the PTF cadets as you do not have the right qualifications. Some night freight business might bite your hand off. Research each airlines recruitment process.
If you are not 'age commensurate with experience' ask yourself if a jet job is achievable at this juncture.
Unfortunately, being prepared to re-locate is ever more part of the scene. Look at the less than major players abroard, particularly in the far east for a chance.
Everyone get a go eventually, but persistence is the best policy. Best of luck.