PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas to reduce heavy maintenance labour by 60%
Old 27th Apr 2012, 16:36
Collando

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunfish. It is managements job to have an efficient workplace. The monumental failure of management is their inept ability to manage its staff .Therefore their benchmark is to offshore all Heavy maintenance. It is well known that they resent the strong opinions of the Melbourne Lames, even suggesting that the militancy is due to the legacy of AA.
Leadership that inspires staff to embrace change or help make change is surely lacking due to the system that embraces yes men and promotes people who for lack of their own vision are encouraged to toe the line without question.
One manager has said to me " it's not what I think or believe, but what I have to say"
In other words middle management are forced to go against what they may reason is correct, in order to keep their positions.
Perhaps as a work force we question too much the decision of management, however you can look at this as a disadvantage or a strength.
I personally see it as a strength.
Millions died in the WW1 in part as no one questioned the stupidity of the decisions made by blundering generals. 50 yrs or so later lives were saved in the Vietnam war by people saying " What the fcuk are we doing here"
Ironacly the people who know the business the best are often silenced by the the Management who think they should know best ! As that is their job.
For goodness sake, as a leader you don't have to know everything ! But you do have to have an ability to foster a team that comes up with the best answer to the problem.
I do not believe that the dragging out of the decision is due to the sycophant personality of management that you suggest. I think it is more due to the influences of politics and perhaps the inherent thought that their initial decision may not necessarily be the best.
Time will tell !