PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2012, 15:02
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Been there done that versus training

Thanks for nice words, mm43.

and the input of those with experience in military types may actually be of value in understanding the aerodynamics experienced by this unlucky A330.
Only reason I joined the discussion was my interest in any FBW system that had a crash or unusual flight condition.

Once the wreckage layout became available, my first impression was a fairly level impact at relatively slow speed. The Viper deep stall came instantly to mind. But I soon found out that the 'bus did not have the area of negative pitch moment coefficient that we had. Back to what happened. I then figured that the jet was very stable in yaw and roll at extreme AoA. So why hold the sucker there? Why not either let go or push forward a bit and see what happens? Never happened.

My point is that we folks here ( 'bird, Smilin', Retired and I) have seen the phenomena and are here to talk about it. And to contribute to an understanding of how many swept-wing jets behave at "abnormal" AoA, and some possible recovery techniques. Our second input has to do with recognition of the jet's actual flight condition.

The AF447 crew did not recognize their condition. Period. Whether they figured the system would prevent a stall or provide warnings (which it seemed to do), was prolly due to their training and experience at "normal" flight conditions.

I certainly do not advocate the same training that we had in our actual jet, but seems the carriers could get the crews up in a trainer such as NASA used for the Shuttle and let them see what it feels like ( jump on that comment Doze and Cland and...), and then what to do.

respectfully submitted