PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2012, 14:41
Bastardeux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long acronym man,

Your argument of the performance of the B vs legacy jets is entirely valid, but in your assessment of B vs C, you acknowledge that the B is the inferior aircraft; so other than the 2 carrier argument and less landing risk, what is your reasoning for preferring the more expensive B? This isn't an "I'm a know it all" question, I'm interested in trying to make sense of the logic that some people put forward for the B. At the moment, the pros and cons of the B vs C, are heavily in favour of the C.

As for getting a fully decked-out carrier air wings with AEW and COD, I guess we'll know after next years comprehensive spending review, if the money will or will not be made available for that in this decade. But I have to say, I don't buy into the pessimism that is gripping the country, yes we're in a bad financial situation at the moment, but in 25 years time we could be thanking the shale gas industry for turning us into Norway; alternatively we could be queuing at the world bank for aid, both are unlikely but you get my point. Likewise, we don't know to what extent the government will prioritise defence over other spending in a more volatile world; personally I'm in the camp that the commitment to increased spending after 2015 is a sign that the next 3 years will be rock bottom for the British military - our version of the carter years, if you will.