PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MOD Civil Servants to stop working.
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2012, 12:17
tucumseh

Received 175 Likes on 66 Posts
The “equivalency” issue is often misunderstood. At its most basic level, in a mixed Service/Civilian environment such as DE&S, every letter of appointment must detail the line management chain, including 1st/2nd/3rd Reporting Officers. Line Management chain and ROs are very often completely different people.

In procurement, for example, delegated financial approval levels are tied to rank/grade. (Financiers don’t approve, they only endorse). Many times I have experienced situations where, because the “equivalents” have been ignored in team structure and letters of delegation, the “senior” officer has had to go to his “junior” to seek approval to commit funding – which is plainly ludicrous.

The Treasury issued the “Broad Equivalents” table you may have seen. It is enshrined in the MoD “Personnel Manual”. The “broad” bit is significant. In HQ posts, a Wg Cdr is permitted to be the line manager of a CS Grade C1 (see above), but in non-HQ jobs they must hold jobs at the same level. However, unless the CS agrees to it, the Wg Cdr is not allowed to be his 1st Reporting Officer. Most CSs are content with this, but some will always moan and groan.

MoD(PE), DPA, DLO, DE&S etc have always had this “problem”, but the real effect, in my experience, is that you NEVER get a serving officer who has the experience and competence in this field demanded of his CS “equivalent”. (How many Wg Cdrs posted to DE&S as a “project manager” have already delivered 100 projects?) As a result, the CS dumbed down.

When you talk about “equivalents”, you must ALWAYS consider the fact that the same rules also say that if a serving officer does not have the necessary competence or experience to do his job, then his junior CS colleagues can be instructed to carry it out for him, without the benefit of extra resources or pay. This rule is often interpreted to include “Doesn’t want to do his job” as well. This particular rule is a one-way street. A CS cannot dump his workload on an unsuspecting serving officer.

Two sides the story guys.

Of course, my main point is that MoD suffers these days because the CS has been dumbed down to such an extent there are very few remaining who can do their own jobs, at the correct grade. The way to raise the standard is to apply the mandated standards. Instead, MoD is often forking out twice the salary than the job deserves, for a poorer return; but in a few cases getting superb, effortless competence for peanuts. Read my post above and next time you meet ANY CS of Grade C2 and above in DE&S, ask them to tell you about their 20 most successful projects (because you haven’t time to listen to all 100+). You’ll get blank looks.