PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vietnam Air Power...and Afghanistan?
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2012, 11:01
MrWomble

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I'm not going to compare the actual events in each "campaign", what I will reflect on is the impact Vietnam had on the US forces for the next 40 years and what they may mean for us now.

As a result of the lessons learnt in Vietnam, US air power moved from being based on 1950s concepts so that by the early 1980s it was a modern fighting force again. For example, the rapid development of air to ground missiles, the advancements of laser guided technology and perhaps most visible the creation of Red Flag, Top Gun and the Aggressor squadrons. The focus moved from bombers to fighters for the next 40 years of the USAF's heritage. There's an excellent book about this which essentially said the allies won Desert Storm because of lessons learnt from Vietnam.

My point is, in the last 10 years the Middle East activities have already caused a significant change in defence spending compared to the previous 10 years. We have a lot more UAVs and light aircraft designed to find and follow specific people, we have munitions targeting capabilities which mean a man on the ground can have something dropped on a specific group of people he can see with the naked eye.

Without realising it, we've probably put the Cold War concept to bed? Or shown that it needs to be in areas where it hasn't already. Strategic deterrence is another story, but like Vietnam I suspect this will be a turning point in military capabilities for the next few decades.