PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hi, I'm new and curious!
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2002, 11:57
MackMeeter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly welcome to the wibbly wobbly world of aviation - where rational thinking, common sense and forward planning are figments of your imagination.

Secondly, I agree with the replies above - you don't need maths and physics coming out of your ears to succeed, the standard is GCSE level stuff and even then not in depth (I dont have any physics qually for example!). I would however recommend doing a degree, if only for getting out of home and cutting the apron strings. Plus if the uni has an Air Squadron - get yerself on it!! I regret not having done so. Uni will also get you in the right groove for all of the commercial ground school stuff you'll have to do - some of it isn't hard but there's shed loads of it and it can be difficult getting back into the swotting if you've had a long time away from it. Leeds uni have just started a pilot studies degree course but like Scroggs says, do one you'll enjoy and get a good grade, you'll need a plan B if the flying goes pear shaped.

Lastly, it's up to you which training you do whether under your own steam (like the majority of us have done I think, I willingly stand corrected if I'm wrong) or on a sponsored course, but they are few and far between and be ready for severe competition. There's conflicting advice for both cases (have a shufty at some past threads) as there is on how to get your first job. I'm still picking my way through the minefield now 2 years down the line but when you finish training things will hopefully be better so long as Dubya doesn't spit his dummy!

Good luck