PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 WINDSHEAR ESCAPE MANEUVRE
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2012, 08:00
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@latetonite boeings windshear escape maneuver at least for the NG if not for the classic has two parts, the first one is manual flight, the second one is automatic flight. There is a note advising that severe windshear might be beyond the capability of the auto flight system and in that case the pilot is to disconnect both auto thrust and autopilot and fly it manually. For most windshear encounters however automatic recovery actually works fine according to simulator checks agains historical windshear data. Never had a reactive windshear warning in the NG, only predictive windshear warnings which usually resulted in being clear of the actual windshear.

However as others have said that only applies if an automatic go-around is possible. Since we fly all precision approaches dual channel that is the case in "my" outfit as long as the autopilot isn't disconnected and of course the same if above 400ft after take off if one was lazy enough to engage the autopilot that early.

@defacto it is my understanding that "maximum thrust" as mentioned in the escape maneuver is indeed the maximum certified thrust for the engine, which could be above the max rating for the airplane in question. However it is still within limits for the engine therefore it will not damage the engine, but may increase maintenance cost in the long run if one does it every week or so.