PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fun police operate across the board....
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2012, 19:46
1.3VStall

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Many, many moons ago I was the Unit Movements Officer (well I had done a week's course at Brize!) on a Lightning squadron (happy days!) in Germany.

We had an MPC (Missile Practice Camp) coming up at Valley (before the days of STCAAME) and a Belslow was scheduled to take across the GSE, spares and groundcrew (the latter on the Belslow's) stub deck - aka as the minstrel's gallery).

Our squadron clerk, an SAC, was posted to Valley about two weeks after our detachment and approached me to see if he could get some of his kit flown over on the Belslow. As I was responsible for generating the manifests I told him that there wasn't a problem. Accordingly, his motorbike was listed as a "transporter, two wheeled". The washing machine was a "water unit" and the tumble dryer was described as a "dehumidifier", etc etc. His personal kit was all duly loaded on the Belslow by the movers and we made an uneventful transit to Valley for a successful detachment.

No doubt today's fun detectors would decry such an action as a gross waste of taxpayers' money. Well I suppose a bit of extra Avtur was burnt transporting the guy's kit across the North Sea. But who can put a price on the morale factor of the lad that had been looked after by his Service?

I'll stop now before I start giving details of Lightning T-bird training flights that just happened to deliver people back from Germany to the UK for the weekend to go to parties/weddings/see the bird etc! Couldn't possible have been me...............!