PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - any significant others here who can enlighten me about life 'over there'?
Old 26th Apr 2012, 14:55
miss controller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obviously there is a large spectrum of experiences. We can only comment on our own experience. For us, we live in Qatar. We are mostly happy here, some things are frustrating (eg red tape with regards to paperwork...the standard of driving, which is horrendous) but in general life is good.

Qatar is probably much safer than many major cities around the world, but that doesn't mean sensible caution should be forgotten. We aren't overly confident in the health system, now we would opt for private medical care. The schooling system however, if you pick the right school is very good and my son is miles ahead of his peers at home. You do have to be married, there is no cohabiting but women can drive, go out alone, have their own bank account etc etc apart from the modest dress and no public displays of affection, it isn't really that much of a change!

With anywhere you live, the place is what you make of it. If you go into it thinking you will hate it, if you don't try to experience the culture, the food, or try to make friends (which we found relatively easy with all the expats over here)...then you will hate it. If you move to the ME and give it a good go, then chances are you will adapt and come to enjoy your time here.