PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice for a future airline pilot
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2012, 12:00
pudoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The airlines you posted links to are ambitious for a new pilot. Keep those airlines in your head, you have to have goals in life but these airlines come later.

Not sure about Canada, but in the US I know you'd have to start with some regional airlines or general aviation (instructing, banner towing etc). Only a tiny % of new pilots will end up at a big national airline straight away. But as I said, goals are good. So look at what these airlines want. Make sure they'll accept the type of license you'll get in Canada. I cannot remember what licenses ME airlines will accept so check their website, it's probably an ICAO ATPL.

"A minimum of 1000 hours on multi crew,glass cockpit jet aircraft of which 500 hours should be on one of the A320 Family and Current on one of the A320 Family"

It means just that. Before they'll look at you you need 1000hrs on an a/c where there are 2 pilots required, hours on a jet (glass cockpit is a cockpit with screens instead of analogue gauges like the 737NG, A320) and 500 on A320. This basically says "new pilots off". The way you have to do it is not build hours when there is no reason to. You'll have to find a job somewhere. The requirements above mean you have to have experience on A320, so this could take many years to get to depending on how the job situation is in Canada. I have no idea, probably just as bad as EU. And remember, minimum requirements are only minimum. There will be others applying for that job way more experienced than you so I'd double the hours they require and then you'd be in for a good chance.

I believe in North America a lot of airlines want uni degrees also so look into that.

Before Emirates, expect to spend a lot, earn little and work very hard. And I heard Emirates work you very hard also so don't think it's all glamour on a Dubai beach only flying 10 hours a week.