PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 WINDSHEAR ESCAPE MANEUVRE
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2012, 09:51
Pontius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not understand the need for elaboration on automatics. Boeing says you disconnect A/P and A/T. That leaves you with manual flying.
Latetonite,

Maybe it's just your specific Company manuals that say manual flight only but the Boeing manuals, used by a good deal of companies, offer the option of an 'automatic' windshear G/A i.e. one in which the A/P & A/T remain engaged. Of course you must obey your Company's procedures in that case. As I've said before, we're postulating scenarios which are pretty unrealistic i.e. we know that it is very unlikely that we're going to remain in auto but it's fun to explore these things in the comfort of a room, rather than trying to think about them when it goes for a can of worms on the day.

De Facto,

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not being a deliberate ass but rather acting as a really argumentative Devil's Advocate and I'm only doing that because, apart from manual flight = manual thrust and auto flight = auto thrust (which is quite probably THE answer), nobody has come up with a decent reason why we shouldn't disengage the A/T once max G/A is set. I'm quite happy if that is the answer but I still think there will be a better one that the clever people can come up with.

Anyway, you wrote:

In a downdraft,the missed app altitude goes out of the window,last of your problem,so disconnecting the AT after full thrust is a good idea to do ,and that would be following boeing.
I agree that missed approach alts etc go out of the window and remember I'm being a theoretical bore here. But returning to the scenario I suggested and which you've answered including the quote above, you've still got the automatics in, therefore it wouldn't be following Boeing to disconnect the A/T. You become distracted by something (very easy to do with the nasty windshear situation you're experiencing) and alt acquire will bring back the thrust, which we agree is bad, hence my thinking that A/T disconnect WITH A/P engaged may have SOME merit, in theory alone.

I do realise that we are talking about the 737 and I do agree that both A/Ps engaged adds an even more far-fetched aspect to the scenario but if I can just expand it a little and add that this windshear manoeuvre is common to the 74/75 & 76 (don't know about 77), which will do this single channel and yet have the same thing written about leaving A/T engaged with A/P and off with manual flight. That probably adds even more credence to the answer being the Boeing manual/auto flight philosophy but this is where the eggheads hang out and they might know an even better reason.