PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 WINDSHEAR ESCAPE MANEUVRE
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2012, 09:05
de facto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
De Facto, but you've conveniently avoided the technical aspects of the scenario I postulated. I imagined such a situation to counter your suggestion that my G/A knowledge was lacking and that my technical savvy not up-to-scratch. Now, that's a fair call but if you're going to do that, then at least have the decency to tell me how the A/T remaining engaged in auto flight will solve the problems of, effectively, a low level altitude capture situation which could really cheese you off in a windshear situation, which wouldn't happen with the A/T disengaged. Just as a reminder; I am not advocating disconnecting the A/T. I am saying I will stick to the QRH but I would like to know why the difference
Ok, I'll try to explain my thought one last time on this issue.
The reason why I initially disagreed with your earlier post (suggesting to disconnect the A/T after GA thrust was established in a A/P GA maneuver),was because in A/P GA (in 737,both channels would have to be engaged before the GA initiation),the AT should remain engaged as per Boeing procedure.(automatic Windshear GA procedure).
Now,we all know that a windshear GA (and by windshear I mean convective windshear,downdraft... ), there is very little chance the aircraft would be set up for a cat 2 app.(both AP engaged) for many reasons.Therefore the AP will be on single channel.
Pressing the TOGA buttons will give you the FD INITiAL pitch guidance and AT reduced GA thrust(click once),when the first thrust is set,(a second click will provide full n1 limit GA thrust).
THEREFORE,if you disconnect the AT when the first GA thrust is set you will NOT have full thrust.
Disconnecting the AT (to follow boeing procedure as you are now in a MANUAL GA) should be done when max thrust set.

I FULLY AGREE with you that the FDs,during a GA will give you alt aqc/hold pitch guidance when you approach /level off your MCP altitude,the AT will engage in Speed mode and will reduce the thrust.
Now I am sure,as a 15000 hrs experienced pilot knows the difference between a windshear due to a downdraft(low climb rate) or just a sudden rapid change of wind speed/direction(gust/inversion).
In a downdraft,the missed app altitude goes out of the window,last of your problem,so disconnecting the AT after full thrust is a good idea to do ,and that would be following boeing.
When you get windshear warning (wx radar senses a horizontal draft,automatically assumes the vertical is the same and calls windshear ),i believe a ga windshear is to be performed,however you will probably be out of this 'windshear' zone very quickly,in that case maintaining the AT engaged will,when you alt acq your missed app altitude(by then the windshear alert will be gone) will allow you to accelerate with all the protections the AT is to give.
Hope im bit more clear

Last edited by de facto; 26th Apr 2012 at 09:26.