PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2012, 08:18
Brisbane flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bobosmirage

Christophe,

4000 TT? Are you serious? There are plenty of better options out there for you. Cathay will give you low conditions, because you will be treated exactly the same as someone who has 200 TT (Other than the training time is reduced as it is only a conversion course that you will need to complete)

The "Forgivable loan" is just over 1 Million HKD. So if you left before 8 years, you would be liable (Although some would argue the legality of this, and whether Cathay would bother). You do get paid the balance in cash of what they did not need to spend on you for training, however, after the loan is "forgiven" you will need to pay tax on this. (Yes, the full amount)

There are NO second officers able to get basing anywhere other than in Hong Kong. In fact, Cathay are no longer offering new basings to any flight crew (Incl captains).

Current wait time to get a promotion to JFO is 4-5 years. It is based on seniority and therefore you would have to wait the same length of time as a 0 hour cadet.

My suggestion in the strongest possible way is to call them and say thanks but no thanks. You are capable and qualified to get a direct entry job with many other airlines around the world. Don't sell yourself short and accept these conditions.

To end, before anyone else tells me, yes, I am applying to the cadet program myself. As I only have 200 odd hours. It suites me, and works well for me. If you are close to, or qualified for other opportunities, go for them and don't sell yourself short