PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft down at Moree.
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2012, 07:35
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Indeed XXX.

And not that I am saying flying that far overweight is a good idea, the reality of physics is that with a good runway length, sufficient power it will take off OK and fly OK, ignoring the structural things for the moment, so long as the CofG is OK.

When you burn off 160kg of fuel, I can only assume the CofG will have moved a long way aft, and even on the back of the curve or slightly past it, it would still fly OK, but you have NO ROOM for sloppy flying. All the speed margins and so on need to be higher. From flight testing at gross weights and aft CofG I can tell you the controls are very different.

Dark night, long day, not current, and pegging the normal IAS on approach.....quite likely the IAS was insufficient to keep the out of trim overweight beast aloft. And was proven.

And for anyone reading this suggesting I think it is OK........read again! PPrune always brings out the Nazi's. That machine was 15% over, like a ferry flight permit would allow, so it would do it, but you are kidding yourself if you think it is a good idea any other time. And you would have to load and fly it like a ferry pilot would.

Youngsters take note. Or perhaps old fella's, who fly on average 25 hours a year.

Very sad set of circumstances.