PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - International Touring Pilot Lifestyle
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2012, 07:31
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zero-Zero;

I used to work 6/6 at the end as senior pilot. There was another SP who was my back to back, we used to e-mail each other the day before travelling about what was going on and then do a brief handover at the airport (he would leave on the plane I had just flown in on) that way our time off was ours with just a brief contact with the ops director for a report on everything at the end of a tour, the company were very good about leaving us alone, and a far as possible all sim/training time was done on their time not ours.

However; really take heed of what Epiphany writes, it is some of the most sensible advice I have read about this subject. It becomes very easy to want to change the world. On one posting I was on we actually built a school in our spare time and the whole company helped us to raise the money, I'm not sure we were right, but it salved a few consciences.

Also, we rotated people through on days so that you didn't have the same people in country all the time, small personal scratches can become magnified by the pressure of living so closely together and friction can result. We found this better for all as it stopped crews flying together all the time and building bad habits in the aircraft.

I would go back to commuting tomorrow if I could find a spot in the sun with no more than one flight a week, a bar staffed by olive skinned naked beauties and no-one telling the present Lady Dementia that I'm actually having fun.

SND