PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Problems with CASA AVMED? Make a submission!!
Old 26th Apr 2012, 03:07
Shagpile

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I know for a fact that there are Aviation doctors that work on the bases
Yes exactly. Not trying to hijack this thread but military aircrew have a very strict bunch of exams every year + a major 5 yearly. The entire medical history is stored in a file on base and like you say, it's recorded whenever you are sick requiring an avmed doctor to clear for flying again. I'm no expert but I'm guessing the medical clearances required to fly ADF aircraft are as strict or more strict than the civilian equivalent.

So explain why we have to ALSO see a DAME ($$), pay the fee to CASA ($$) and fill up the already full paperwork system with more applications that really don't need to be there? This thread is about the crappy delays in CASA, so why not be able to show a CASA rep your current ADF aircrew examination report instead?

The best we can hope is that some of the avmed doctors are also DAME's and fill in your CASA paperwork whilst doing the annual exam.

One dame told me the reason we still do both is because the senior medical DAME's lobbied for this to happen so they see more (non Medicare billed) aviation patients to make back money from their dame course. Sigh.