PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice for a future airline pilot
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2012, 03:03
Diego767

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for a future pilot

Hi, my name is Diego and I want to be a professional pilot when I graduate from high school. I'm a junior in high school and I hope to start my training next year. I love aviation and I can't wait to start my training. However, during the last few weeks, I've been doing some research about this career to see if it's worth it. It seems like it is not and I think that I will have to chnage my career, and probably become an aerospace engineer. Before doing this research, I used to say this to myself "i would love to become an airlinr pilot even if the pay is not that good because i love flying!"

This shows my determination, and that's great!! But thinking realistically, we all want to have a good paying job, because that is going to be our main income in our life. Having a job of an airline pilot is different to leisure time and having fun. In leisure time activities, or doing something to get pleasure out of, you wont care if you're being rewarded or not, you just want to have fun. Flying for the pleasure, for example.

In the US, the regional airlines pay you little and you have to work close to 16 hours a day. In addition, you have to pay a lot (more than 100,000 dollars) to obtain your licenses and then when you start working for the regionals, you earn $ 20,000 a year.

So after doing this research, I decided to study something else (aerospace engineering) first, then earn some money and start my training later on. After planning my future, I realized that I might start my training at the age of 30 or 33.

So, my question is, should I follow this route, or should I follow my heart and become a pilot right away. My plan is to attend Embry-Riddle. Yes, I know is expensive, but with financial aid, scholarships, and parent's savings, I know that I will be able to cover all the expenses. Please I need a good advice because I feel lost and don't know what to do. Thank you so much, I really appreciate it