PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - This is not about better stick and rudder skills.
Old 26th Apr 2012, 01:14
Keylime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part of the problem facing this industry is the lack of skilled, experienced pilots. Worldwide, the shortage that is already upon us is being sold to operators as "You can get away with a less experienced pilot because the automation will save you". And, it will 90 something % of the time.

If you look at the majority of major accidents, many of them(not all) are in the entry level aircraft and in the majors in the Airbus 320 family and B-737 types. Why is this? This is the entry level aircraft. Because of this shortage, pilots that years ago would never have been in the left seat are now there. They may be able to go into the simulator and perform to a necessary level to pass the ride(which in many cases they already know the profile), but put them out on the line and they don't know how to "think outside of the box"(pun intended).

You can't put everything into the book, and when you give them something they have never seen before or "not what I was expecting" things get interesting. Some acquiantances of mine working over in Asia tell me about how the F/O's can flying the sh@t out of an ILS but give them a visual and it is all over. Unfortunately, they will try to fly the ILS all the way to the ground. Everything is done from rote. Turn off the flight director and it is all over. Good flight training is expensive. Many of the instructors are young pilots trying to build flight time. I am sure they do a good job, but there is no substitute for experience.