PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEW BA PILOT SCALE
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2012, 22:22
Hand Solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see what you mean, however I can not see BA not taking the option of PP34 for ALL employees and not be as hard on other things.
Even if BA would accept your proposition, it would be a significant change of contract for all individuals. BA have no interest in pursuing it, as amply evidenced by the cabin crew strike in which no existing crew had their contracts changed. BA don't want it and it's not BALPAs job to deliver it to them.

At the end, where is YOUR redline?
I know where mine is and it isn't where you think it should be. No doubt the other 3300+ pilots in BA have their own lines too.

Management want more than anything else figures in savings, how you achieve them is pretty sure of second interest to them. So let the figures be their redline, and make unity your redline.
You are making big assumptions again. PP34 has been the holy grail of BA management for a decade. How BA get the savings long term is very much their concern. They want a sustainable business, not a series of union suggested sticking plasters that leave the operation in a precarious position. As I said earlier, management run the business, not the employees. Spare us the 'unity' battle cry. Unity in itself is not a global panacea, nor is unity a cause in itself. There is little of your interpretation of unity in BA anyway with the multitude of different pay and pension scales yet the sky hasn't fallen in.

If to disunite you was a redline for WW, even more it should have all made you alarmed. I think everyone is knowledgeable about WW and union busting.
It's all back to unity for you again. It's not a magic potion, and being united doesn't make having a cricket bat shoved up your jacksy any more enjoyable or noble. Unity with stupidity is not to be strived for.

We will see. At the end we heard it many times that "this" fight is not worth fighting, and see were we are now in the UK?
Yep, we're in Europes most competitive aviation market bar none. Thats why terms are under pressure in the UK. And you are not doing better in Germany because you are united, but because you have no domestic long haul competitor of significance and nothing like the market penetration of low cost carriers. They'll come, and so will the cost cutting.

BA is not better than the rest because of a strategic and smart CC, but because they started higher and management has not come yet after longhaul, as longhaul is a market with very high entry barriers, so pressure is lower.
The figures comparing BA pilot long haul costs versus European flag carriers don't support your assertion, nor would a cost comparison between BA and Virgin long haul pilots. To steal a phrase from one of our BALPA reps, you are entitled to your own views, you are not entitled to your own facts.