PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 WINDSHEAR ESCAPE MANEUVRE
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2012, 11:09
Pontius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the case of an AP engaged and AT engaged,if you see alt acq,and you are still in the windshear, by all means disconnect the automatics.
Thank you for stating the obvious, De Facto, but you've conveniently avoided the technical aspects of the scenario I postulated. I imagined such a situation to counter your suggestion that my G/A knowledge was lacking and that my technical savvy not up-to-scratch. Now, that's a fair call but if you're going to do that, then at least have the decency to tell me how the A/T remaining engaged in auto flight will solve the problems of, effectively, a low level altitude capture situation which could really cheese you off in a windshear situation, which wouldn't happen with the A/T disengaged. Just as a reminder; I am not advocating disconnecting the A/T. I am saying I will stick to the QRH but I would like to know why the difference

You guys scare me, is not TOGA thrust, wings level and 10 deg nose up standard for all aircraft?
No, Grounded, that is not standard for all aircraft. Luckily for you we do know what is required of our aircraft, so you can rest assured and feel less scared

When I asked Boeing pilot he said it was to comply with Boeing's philosophy of manual flight = manual thrust.
This may very well be the answer and that's an end to it. I know the guys with big brains in Seattle/Toulouse figure this stuff out and I'll do what they say but I sometimes like to know why and this is one of those times. As I said to 737OPR in my PM, 99.9% of this is theoretical and the scenarios are quite contrived. You're pretty well going to end up going manual anyway (my 3 events did), so the point is almost moot. However, as this is the tech forum I'm going to suggest that disengaging the A/T will stop the power coming back when (theoretically) you don't want it to and this is good in manual flight, so why not click them out once thrust is set by the A/T in auto flight? If manual flight = manual thrust and auto flight = auto thrust is the answer to my question, have the big brains thought about the unwanted thrust reduction suggested in my (pretty farfetched) scenario or have I failed, again, in my ability to see the Big Picture and risk assess

"Stow the boards, Thrust to maximum, auto throttle OFF, wings level, pull to stick shake, if necessary"
But not if the auto pilot is engaged I know I'm being trite....but that's what's written in my QRH