PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 18 Years ago........today
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2012, 09:31
Kris Lovell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aye Ess..

Was the Qantas Aussie flag really on backwards on that side?

VH-XXX
Was that one attributed to a gross case of aircraft unfamiliarity? Just sayin. It was mentioned in here a while back.
Technical crew
Pilot in command - Total on type 927

Ignoring the other as unverified.. I'd say thats a significant amount of DC3 time to be familiar with the aircraft, even if he wasnt the handling pilot initially.

Ollie
This crew should of been 'praised' not hung out to dry.
I've only known of one other pilot who disagreed with the above sentiment, and he had a very vested interest in DC3's. Thankfully he is long retired... I hope..

Centaurus
I vaguely recall the accident report mentioned something about the PF using mainly aileron to counter yaw instead of appropriate amount of rudder?
Disputed in dear old dads own words..
I dispute the BASI report's statement that "almost full right aileron had been used to control the aircraft". The implication of yaw is overstated. The application of hard right aileron was transient only
Something I wasnt aware of, but have since read in the BASI report ..(my bolding)
The landing gear was observed by witnesses located in a small pleasure craft under the flight path to be retracted prior to the aircraft being ditched. The pilot in command had to manoeuvre the aircraft to avoid hitting the craft whilst making the approach to ditch.

Anyway..
Kris