PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EIR - maybe not such a bad thing after all?
Old 25th Apr 2012, 03:20
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EIR - maybe not such a bad thing after all?

Just recently back from a 3000nm return trip from LA to New Orleans (surprisingly without a single squawk - a first, bless her). Although I had to scud run in Texas and Louisiana to get under some nasty weather for 2 days, it was still VFR or marginal VFR.

The last days leg went from Lubbock, TX, to LA. Took off early, silky smooth air, beautiful trip all the way until I hit the LA basin - socked in uncharacteristically. An incongruous bunch of pilots took turns in getting through at Banning Pass (the only low level entrance into the LA basin) and the airport there, but all failed (myself included). Almost all of LA was reporting ceilings at 2000ft if one could just get past the pass. We were hearing joyous position reports from people at uncontrolled airports just on the other side of that bl**dy wet curtain of mist and clouds blocking the entrance. Taunting us. Surrounded by mountains and sea, no way around - can't come from the top, can't drop down over the ocean. I gave it a go twice, before I scared myself from trying again.

It was so frustrating to have to fail after 3000 miles only 30 miles from my home airport. Ended up having to leave the old gal at another remote airport and arrange all sorts of complicated and expensive means to get home/pick her up later.

The EIR would have gotten me in that day. And one wouldn't have needed more than an AI, a turn coordinator and a radio - instruments that exist in almost all aircraft. A GPS and a VOR would have made it even better, of course, but strictly not necessary. I'm thinking the EIR might be a good idea for those who just want a bit more utility, without planning on doing approaches to minimums. I will certainly expedite my IR training after this, but would gladly go halfway for an EIR in the meantime, if such a thing existed.

BTW, what is the latest on that?

In better weather.

Last edited by AdamFrisch; 25th Apr 2012 at 03:37.