PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Utair ATR 72 Crash in Siberia
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2012, 19:22
henra

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Clandestino
Or Fokker 100. Or anything with highly loaded wings. Primary design concern of transport aeroplane wings is cruise efficiency.
What I wanted to point out was the involvement of the disconnection of the AP immediatly followed by violent roll.
That is something which happened in all ATR icing accidents. The AP covered the unfolding drama relatively long up to a point where the aileron forces could not be handled by the AP and then the Pilot himself anymore.This could be to some extent due to the unpowered ailerons in connection with icing on the horns.
Therefore manual flying when encountering icing conditions might be one of the better life assurances in an ATR (and the other TP's for that matter).

doesn't imply we should be deeply worried about it and start another "ATRs are dangerous!" frenzy.
Was not my intention, please see above

Errr... yes, but that's not the way it works in real life. To have tailplane stall, first you have to have severe ice accretion on leading tailplane edge (failed boot in heavy icing), then flaps have to be very powerful and tail has to be in their wake.
Exactly my point. I wanted to figuratively show how unlikely tail plane icing would have been in the given case.
Anything short of massive ice accretin on the tail with flaps fully extended should have no appreciable effect on the flyability of the aircraft.