PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hours building: Questions, Ideas, Advice, Countries etc
Old 24th Apr 2012, 10:57
Aucky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KJGKGJ - my boyfriend will work up to that one because he said it seems like a much bigger scarier airfield! However maybe in a couple of months time this will be brilliant!
I know that people have apprehensions about this when they have trained at smaller airfields with just AFIS or A/G radio, and have avoided visiting airfields with ATC through their training, but this is not a reason to be put off. It's actually a lot safer and more controlled, as there is always someone who knows exactly what they are doing who's job it is to help/direct you, and your less likely to get someone else joining without a radio, or doing completely the wrong thing undetected.

I'm not on the sell, I just stumbled across this thread, and work at the aforementioned school in Cambridge. Whether Cambridge or any other 'Controlled' airfield encourage your partner to give it a go, with an instructor first who can explain the layout and procedures. It's a pleasure flying to/from controlled airfields really and shouldn't be daunting (and won't be for long if he gives it a go), also it will be necessary to be comfortable with this if undertaking the CPL(H). The sooner the better