PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Landing Contextualised
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2012, 09:13
Checkboard

Received 118 Likes on 58 Posts
As for texting while taxiing or any other phase for that matter, I fully agree it should not be tolerated, but what do you do when it's your flight examiner who is still reading messages while LINING UP on the runway? You know what, I said nothing, when I get my checkride signed, I'll run the ship with what I hope are better standards than him.
Perhaps the examiner was testing your command authority & confidence? You failed by not telling him to turn his phone off, as per SOP and Commander's safety instruction.

(Note: there is only one commander on any flight, and in our company that person is designated on the flight documentation. For line checks, the designated commander is the person being checked - not the TRE in the right hand seat.)

Could somebody please explain what the "RAISE 8" method is?
I've never heard of "RAISE8" Slash - but in Ansett we had a "guide to appropriate assertion" which ran through five steps:
  1. A comment on a point of difference. e.g. "I think we may be a bit high."
  2. A specific comment on the difference e.g. "We are now 2000' above the descent profile."
  3. The "If ... then" statement, using proper titles e.g. "Captain, if we do not extend the airbrake, then we will be too fast for the approach."
  4. The urgency statement, e.g. "Captain, you must act now! Use the airbrake!"
  5. Should the other crew member fail to respond to this point, then taking control had to be considered.
... there was of course a caveat that time constraints may require you to skip to any step. Certainly any time a formal title was used on the flight deck, it got your immediate attention that the other crew member was concerned enough to begin the formal steps towards a take over