PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Voyager: AT Aircraft Only??
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 22:50
BBadanov

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
[QUOTE]StopStart: I suspect that 99 were able to do that because they bought/leased everything from the USA - from flying suits, publications and training through to the aircraft themselves. By cutting out the every present ogre of RAF-Fannying-About-With-Things 99 were, I imagine, able to just crack on and do their job.[/QUOTE]

It was same here in Oz with 36 SQN receiving the C-17A. Very quick FMS acquisition, plus we got a sim as well fairly quickly. These FMS puchases, same as F/A-18F Superbug, with no customising (or very little), are the way to go - if there is a cab on the rank which meets requirements.

But there was no existing cab for our AEW&C and for AAR. The 2 SQN Wedgetail (built on the 737-700) was the first of type and very risky buying off the drawing board. However, it is performing ok, probably to 80% now and work will continue thru its life of type - way of the world these days with computer aircraft.

And there was no tanker - Boeing stuffed around for years with 767 for Italy and Japan, and I don't know if its right yet (and even then only drogues). Years off for the USAF. Our 33 SQN KC-30A (based on A330-200) is perfoming well with drogues only at this stage, boom (fitted but not cleared) not too far off. It will be the benchmark for France, Saudi, UAE, etc.

So these have been expensive programs as the lead customer, but all should work out well. It is interesting, when we get aircraft like these about to enter service, pilots go off to QANTAS on the 737 or A330 for route training on scheduled passenger-hauling routes, wearing QANTAS uniform. I don't think RAF does that.