PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 22:38
EI-A330-300

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its the airlines who decide which airport to fly from and not the DAA. The DAA have done nothing major to get airlines to increase flights at DUB. That has come from the airlines themselves. If LH wanted to fly FRA from Cork they would but they don't and its not the DAA's fault as its down to the airline. I will accept to an extent that DAA will put Dublin in front of Cork only for new routes/carriers that are not served from Dublin, but I don't accept that airlines are not flying from Cork becasue of Dublin and the Terminals. Cork should be looking to Germanwings or Air Berlin and not full service carriers as a low cost carrier has a higher chance of making the route from Cork work.

DUB can cater for 35 million and the DAA will not reach this any day soon.....

At the end of the day around 75-80% of air traffic to/from Ireland comes from Aer Lingus, Aer Lingus Regional and Ryanair and then airlines have to put up with Ryanair who in most cases start the same route to get the new carrier to drop it and then in time they will drop it.

I agree that Cork and Shannon should be split from the DAA (not debit free) but I don't see any major changes in terms of routes and airlines.

I agree with Ryan 2000 post that airlines have concluded that the Market is simply too small to take on EI and FR on one of their homes bases.