PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N-reg situation update
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 20:56
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace

You can build hours in the USA and you can train the CPL out there too, but you cannot train any of the 55+hrs (or whatever it actually takes under the CBM IR, if that ever comes) towards the IR in the USA. This prevents one doing the full ATPL package out there.

Cabair going bust is not relevant because it won't reduce the demand. The extra students (plus those who can recover from having lost 5 figures to the shysters) will go to other FTOs who are obviously rubbing their hands.

Silvaire1
I agree that the FAA holds the high ground, and I ask myself why they even bother talking to EASA.
Well that's very true

But I think the FAA does need to talk to EASA.

One reason is that while the FAA has happily sat there for decades, looking after the domestic US scene, and implicitly exporting its regime around the world, EASA has been very busy selling its gold plated job-creating system all over the place, to some far away places which are now adopting Part M (believe it or not).

I was at a Eurocontrol seminar a few years ago and the speaker cleared off very quickly afterwards, for 2 reasons: 1) to avoid answering questions and 2) because he was off the Venezuela to "show them how to do it". I have no idea if he was successful but clearly the Eurocrats are nibbling around the edges of the traditional FAA territory.

mm_flynn

If the deal in the EU negotiators mind is - We will let your pilots get our licences if you let our airlines provide domestic US service, then I would agree. But that is a much much broader negotiation than an FCL Annex (and quite a pish take as well).
I reckon it is something like that... a bit like the "Saddam Hussein extra mile" EASA will ensure that the FAA cannot agree to it, and they can then pretend to claim the moral high ground and shaft everybody.

Like I keep saying, just looking at the politics (forget aviation) I cannot see EASA giving up the present gold plated system unless they can get a massive prize in return and I can't see what that might be, and still fall within what can be stuffed into the current BASA annex.