PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 20:26
Turbine D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lyman,

#2, about 200 meters short of the trees, keep looking. And he did not say 'compressor'.

Now I had to go look. It is #1, looks more surgy than stally. sheesh.
The year was 1988. What you are "seeing" is neither a "stall" or a "surge". It is a result of a throttle burst from minimum idle to max thrust. In those days, when you did that, even on a test stand, you would see unburned fuel vapors out the tailpipe. It had to do with the state of design knowledge in those days regarding the combustor and fuel insertion into the combustor. With today's combustor sophistication and knowledge rarely would you see this.

Anyhow, both engines performed as advertised, with power application being just a little late.

Dozy,

I'm not so sure. The much-referenced delay in spooling up (and the reference to earlier problems in the A320 testing regimen) referred to slow spool up at medium to cruise altitude, and thus a completely different area of the flight envelope compared to the position of the Habsheim jet.
Without getting into a lot of detail, I am sure. It was a warning and reminder of the spool up time required on this engine from minimum flight idle to TOGA thrust, whether it takes place at 50 feet or 250 feet from the ground, much more critical than at or near cruise altitude.