PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe pilots fired after flight deck row
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 18:11
BugSpeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbubba,

"An example of conversation not directly related to operation of the aircraft being exploited for analysis is in the Colgan 3407 crash in Buffalo. The crew members discussed commuting to work and sleeping in the crew lounge. The posthumous CVR testimony of the Colgan crew was cited in congressional hearings, in my opinion somewhat out of the scope of the original CVR mandate."

I have to disagree old chap. This was DIRECTLY attributable to the accident; they were fatigued. That fatigue resulted in an eqivalent alchohol intake, it is suggested, that would have put them at least twice over the UK drink drive limit in terms of mental capacity.

We'll leave the Q400's design features alone for this argument as its about CVR's, and indeed this thread isnt really about CVR's or Colgan! However, the CVR in that case proved that, along with company IT material, both pilots were not fit to fly.

From my experience those with something to hide tend to be the only people afriad of CVR's...

Yes, the CVR is a very valid and useful tool. If you follow your SOP's you have nothing to worry about.