PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reported Visibility and approach ban
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 14:06
Breakthesilence

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reported Visibility and approach ban

Hi guys,

few days ago, in Genova (GOA/LIMJ), ATIS was reporting 3500 meters of visibility. The ILS (it's just CAT I) for runway 28 has this minimums for Cat. C: 788' DA / 3600 mt VIS (not sure about 788', maybe 789' but this is not the point )

I was OFF but a friend of mine, a captain who was approaching GOA, told me about 2 airplanes in front of him landing there. As his turn come, the VIS increased above 3600 mt.

We know that if the RVR/VIS is below the minimum we can start the approach until reaching the Outer Marker. At this point, in order to continue, you need the actual RVR/VIS to be above minimum, otherwise a go around should be executed.

So, we thought about the 2 airplanes landing without having the minimum VIS and we came to this: as the reported Visibility is the lowest visibility of the 360° view from the airport, maybe at the outer marker they have already got the runway in sight because 3500 meters VIS was a sector not affecting the final for that runway and decided to land.

My question is, legally, are we authorized to continue beyond the OM if we don't have the minimum VIS but we have the runway in sight and we are able to maintain it? (note: Visual approaches are no longer granted in Italy).

This is something not stated in the EU OPS approach ban explanation.

Waiting for your thoughts and hints!